Steam locomotives appear too dark to see detail

I am using the default shader and graphic settings and the visuals on buildings and modern trains is exceptional - thank you!    However I have recently been experimenting with steam locomotive such as the Black 5 and old pannier tank engines and I find that even on bright days it’s difficult to pick out any details.  Is it possible to have a 'switch' setting and the ability to easily change the shader?    I’m loath to change anything as what I have now is perfect for other than steam locomotives!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any way to overcome this without losing the excellent shaders you have ATM.   Perhaps a method of lightening the image - I have turned the screen brightness up, but that can lose some of the RWE realism.

Do you possibly have some guidance on how I could achieve being able to lighten the steam locos by a simple shader adjustment.  I have briefly tried the gamma setting which helps, but, for instance, platforms can appear bleached out.    Maybe it’s a contrast setting?    I could save this and use this shader for steam locomotives.    I wouldn’t want to lose your current shader settings because foliage, buildings and modern railway company stock does look amazing on those settings!  Thank you.  

I ask this because it almost impossible to make out any detail in the cab or externally.

Screenshots attached.   As you know, I have two copies of Railworks - one on Steam and a separate version on another drive (you still need to open Steam to run it).    The first screenshots are from the separate drive using your latest shaders, however I did discover that switching to the legacy shaders in RWE2 was not the same as using the Steam version (i.e. the correct comparison).   It seems the legacy shaders via RWE2 may actually not be as the per original version.    The first 2 pics are RWE2, the second 2 are from the Steam original Railworks.    The locomotive is a Class 7f on the North Lincolnshire route - actually the in-cab views are not as bad as on the 3f 'Jinty' for instance.

20220831231152_1.jpg

20220831231355_1.jpg

20220831233006_1.jpg

20220831233038_1.jpg

Edited by 462

They might look different on your screen because these sort of brightness's can vary from monitor to monitor, but to me on my monitor the RWE versions look better, richer in colour and still clearly able to pick out all the detail as expected, the last two images just look washed out and only very slightly brighter.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness on your actual monitor to see if there was any improvement for you, just a suggestion and maybe worth a try?

Hello Reef - yes I had tried all the monitor settings, including my Adobe Photoshop calibrated one.  The issue is really one of contrast adustment in that if you lighten the image too much so that you can pickup the detail, the lighter areas become bleached out.   I do not use any of the gaming settings on the monitor because I find that the contrast level is usually 'overblown'.

I have attached a totally different pic from the GWR Riviera route to better show the issue - I have also attached one from my XP11 flight sim (DXVK) with an early morning backlit image - here you can see the 'in shadow' detail quite clearly indicating that it probably is possible.     As I mentioned previously, the contrast levels in RWE2 are brilliant for pretty much all modern stock.  Its the older steam loco's that need the contrast adjustment which is why I suggested maybe an alternative setting for these.  I hope it might be possible to arrive at a compromise that does not lose the effectivness of the existing.

20220901155611_1.jpg

20211118004504_1.jpg

Edited by 462

With help, advice and guidance from RW Central I have modified the shaders to help with this problem.    I will post this shortly for download in the shader section if anyone wants to try it. I have also uploaded to the gallery two screen shots using the modified shader.   I think it also helps with dark or late evening scenarios with other than steam locomotives.

I think it important to add that trying to provide a shader set that covers for all conditions is probably impossible.  As we all know, one of the great things about RWE2 is the visuals which have a sharpness and vibrancy that adds another level to the sim.  However to achieve these higher levels increased contrast is required which does increase the lightness and darkness of the subjects.    My shader is designed to be a useful aid to be able to view the subjects more clearly when the lighting/subject conditions become more difficult.   You may choose to use this shader overall, but my intention was that the user would switch back and forth between the latest RWE shader and mine as the subject matter dictates!   Happy driving!😀

Edited by 462
Additional design information.