Vulkan help

Sc0tchEgg

Hi All

Have just upgraded from RWE Pro to RWE 2 in the hope of getting Vulkan to work on my PC but I am having no luck.  I have tried it using DXVK but all I get is a black screen once the scenario has loaded,  I've tried the option through RWE 2 and TSC crashes at the scenario loading screen. 

I am not great with PC's and mine is a lower end spec'd machine but was hopping Vulkan would give it a little boost.

Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by Sc0tchEgg
  • Like 1

Hi

My card is an AMD RX5500 XT (8gb GDDR6),  I have checked and it is on the list to support Vulkan

8GB Ram

Intel i5-3570K CPU 3.4 ghz

Windows 10 pro 64 bit

I have installed Vulkan 1.3 and the latest AMD drivers and Adrenalin software (23.12.1) for it

Good evening @Sc0tchEgg

Your graphics card is enough recent and therefore perfectly compatible with the entire instruction library (DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan). Only graphics cards less than 2GB older than 2013 are no longer supported or may not work correctly with this API

Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date (apparently everything is fine) and try running the game in windowed mode.

Completely reinstalled RWE2 step by step as described in the documentation.

Maybe try also without RWE2 by uninstalling it and looking at this link https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases, and downloading the most recent version of the Vulkan API (dxvk-2.3.tar.gz), unzip it and in the x64 folder extract the 2 files dxgi.dll and d3d9.dll and copy them to the TS root folder in order to have the most recent files (taking care to save the originals).

The failure you describe will probably come from something other than Vulkan, and your machine, although old, is perfectly capable of running TS.

Edited by CC21000
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, daniel.trenzen said:

Where did you read that? Here is an other Information directly from AMD. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vulkan
I can't find RX5500 XT in List of Vulkan™-compatible components

Whilst I was confirming it could run Vulkan this link was on a post on the AMD forums

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5500-xt.c3468

22 hours ago, CC21000 said:

Good evening @Sc0tchEgg

Your graphics card is enough recent and therefore perfectly compatible with the entire instruction library (DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan). Only graphics cards less than 2GB older than 2013 are no longer supported or may not work correctly with this API

Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date (apparently everything is fine) and try running the game in windowed mode.

Maybe try also without RWE2 by uninstalling it and looking at this link https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases, and downloading the most recent version of the Vulkan API (dxvk-2.3.tar.gz), unzip it and in the x64 folder extract the 2 files dxgi.dll and d3d9.dll and copy them to the TS root folder in order to have the most recent files (taking care to save the originals).

The failure you describe will probably come from something other than Vulkan, and your machine, although old, is perfectly capable of running TS.

Thanks for your reply,

I have updated my drivers last week, Ive run in borderless but not windowed I will try that

I have tried the DXVK 2.3.tar route of dropping dxgi.dll & d3d9.dll into my TS root folder and when the scenario loads I just get a black screen.  I suspect something else is causing it but I have zero idea what that may be.

It is an old machine but on most routes I can get a 30 fps on medium settings just the usual tile stutters, I'm just loathed to update at the moment as I've so much stuff on this PC it will take an age to move over

On 1/24/2024 at 8:10 PM, CC21000 said:

Good evening @Sc0tchEgg

Have now tried windowed mode but I get the same result if I use Vulkan through RWE 2 TS crashes when starting

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 3:17 PM, daniel.trenzen said:

The manufacturer itself reports no Vulkan support for this hardware:

I assume that this is an editorial error in the source you used.

I have now got Vulkan working perfectly on my rig, turns out my MSI Afterburner overlay was causing my crashes.  Disable it and Vulkan works fine with a 7-19 FPS increase on average

• Like 1